Moles are small, burrowing mammals that are known for their ability to create tunnels underground. While they may be cute to some, moles can wreak havoc on lawns and gardens, causing damage to plant roots and creating unsightly mounds of earth on the surface. In this article, we’ll share some interesting facts about moles and discuss treatments for mole infestations that Mission Pest Control can provide.
Here are some fascinating facts about moles that you may not know:
- Moles have a keen sense of touch, but their eyesight is poor. This is why they spend most of their time underground.
- Moles can dig tunnels at a rate of 18 feet per hour.
- There is only one species of mole found in the UK (Talpa europaea), and they are widespread throughout the country.
- Moles are solitary animals and are most active in the spring and autumn.
- They create elaborate tunnel systems underground, which can sometimes cause damage to lawns, gardens, and agricultural fields.
- Moles are insectivores and feed primarily on earthworms, but they will also eat other insects and larvae.
- While moles can be considered a pest in some situations, they also play an important role in aerating soil and controlling insect populations.
If you have a mole infestation, there are several treatments that Mission Pest Control can provide to help eradicate the problem:
- Trapping – Pretty much the only effective way to control moles is through trapping. Mission Pest Control uses a range of traps to suit all different types of situations. Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it is illegal to use poison to kill moles.
- Repellents – There are several mole repellents on the market that use ingredients like castor oil to drive moles away from your lawn and garden. These have mixed and/ or limited effectiveness.
- Habitat Change – In severe cases, a complete lawn renovation may be necessary to remove the mole infestation. This involves at turning the affected areas wild so their damage isn’t an issue.
Moles may be fascinating creatures, but they can cause significant damage to lawns and gardens. If you suspect a mole infestation, it’s important to contact a professional pest control service like Mission Pest Control to help eradicate the problem. With the right treatment, you can enjoy a beautiful, mole-free lawn and garden once again.
If you would like more information on how we can help you, CLICK HERE.